Diploma in Health Science, Practical Nursing
Semester hours required for graduation: 48
Advisor: Heather Anderson
The practical nursing program is 40 weeks in length (three consecutive semesters) and includes 48 credit hours of combined nursing and general education courses. Students receive classroom instruction, laboratory practice, and clinical nursing experience in medical, surgical, obstetric, pediatric, geriatric and community practice settings. Through guided learning experiences, students provide nursing care to patients with basic health needs. Students work as members of the health care team under the supervision of a registered nurse such as licensed practical and licensed vocational nurses. Upon graduation, students are eligible to apply to take the NCLEX-PN examination.
Tuition and book costs reflect the projected cost of the complete program.
Graduation times may vary according to course availability and/or individual course load. Consult faculty advisor.
Neither the Bureau of Labor Statistics nor Williamsburg Technical College controls or guarantees the accuracy, relevance, timeliness, or completeness of the employment information listed above. Further, the inclusion of links to particular items in hypertext is not intended to reflect their importance, nor is it a guarantee of student employability from a particular program of study.
Pre-Admission Examination (PAX) information:
- Register early as seating is limited on a first-come, first served basis. Tests last from 8 a.m.-12 noon.
- Applicants for the PAX must be admitted to the College through the Office of Admission PRIOR TO applying for the PAX. Call 843.355.4165 for WTC admission information.
- The completed examination application form and $40 nonrefundable payment must be delivered to the Williamsburg Technical College Business Office (Building A lobby area) to ensure you have a seat on the PAX testing date. No exceptions will be made.
- Please provide accurate contact information on the form.
- Space is limited and testing slots are offered on a first-come, first-served basis to qualified candidates.
- Applicants MUST arrive at the test site no later than 8 a.m. on the test date. There will be NO ADMITTANCE to the test site after that time.
- Applicants must show a valid driver’s license at the site on the day of their test.
- The test is administered on a computer and will take at least 3-4 hours to complete.
- No electronic equipment (calculators, cell phones, pagers, PDAs, computers, etc.) or other materials will be allowed in the room. Failure to adhere to this policy may result in expulsion from the test site.
- Applicants may not take the PAX test more than once every 6 months and may only take it a total of 3 times.
- Applicants to the Williamsburg Technical College Nursing program must take the PAX test any time after August of the year you intend to enter and make a score within the percentile rank of 78% or above to qualify for admission in the next academic year.
- Successful completion of the PAX does not guarantee admission to the Williamsburg Technical College practical nursing program.