Diploma in Health Science, Practical Nursing
Semester hours required for graduation: 48
The Practical Nursing program is 40 weeks in length (three consecutive semesters) and includes 48 credit hours of combined nursing and general education courses. Students receive classroom instruction, laboratory practice, and clinical nursing experience in medical, surgical, obstetric, pediatric, geriatric and community practice settings. Through guided learning experiences, students provide nursing care to patients with basic health needs. Students work as members of the health care team under the supervision of a registered nurse such as licensed practical and licensed vocational nurses. Upon graduation, students are eligible to apply to take the NCLEX-PN examination. Prior to entering the program, prospective students must take the Pre-Admission Exam. All PNR courses require an 80% competency for program progression.
A. General Education: 17 Credit Hours
B. Major Courses: 31 Credit Hours
PNR 110 Fundamentals of Nursing (3-6-5)
PNR 170 Nursing of the Older Adult (1.5-1.5-2)
As of September 1, 2017 Williamsburg Technical College will no longer administer the NLN PAX Entrance Exam for the Practical Nursing Program. WTC nursing program will begin administering the TEAS entrance exam. The TEAS exam stands for The Test of Essential Academic Skills (TEAS). The TEAS is a standardized test developed by Assessment Technologies Institute (ATI). The TEAS provides assessment data regarding a student’s overall academic preparedness.
TEST of Essential Academic Skills (TEAS) information:
• Register early as seating is limited on a first-come, first served basis. Tests last from 8 a.m.-12 noon.
• Applicants for the TEAS must be admitted to the College through the Office of Admission PRIOR TO applying for the TEAS. Call Cheryl
Dubose at 843.355.4165 for WTC admission information.
• The completed examination application form and $65, nonrefundable payment must be delivered to the Williamsburg Technical College
Business Office (Building A-Lobby area) to ensure you have a seat on the TEAS testing date. No exceptions will be made/test date cannot
• Please provide accurate contact information on the form. Make sure there is a working contact number either cell or home and make sure
that there is a valid email address.
• Space is limited and testing slots are offered on a first-come, first-served basis to qualified candidates.
• Applicants MUST arrive at the test site no later than 7:50 on the test date. There will be NO ADMITTANCE to the test site after that time.
• Applicants must show a valid driver’s license at the site on the day of their test.
• The test is administered on a computer and will take at least 3-4 hours to complete.
• No electronic equipment (calculators, cell phones, pagers, PDAs, computers, etc.) or other materials will be allowed in the room. Failure to
adhere to this policy may result in expulsion from the test site.
• Applicants may take TEAS a total of 6 times in two years.
• Applicants to the Williamsburg Technical College Practical Nursing program must take the TEAS test any time after August of the year you
intend to enter and make an adjusted score of 60 or above to qualify for admission in the next academic year for the Practical Nursing.
• Successful completion of the TEAS does not guarantee admission to the Williamsburg Technical College practical nursing program.
Tuition and book costs reflect the projected cost of the complete program.
Graduation times may vary according to course availability and/or individual course load. Consult faculty advisor.
Neither the Bureau of Labor Statistics nor Williamsburg Technical College controls or guarantees the accuracy, relevance, timeliness, or completeness of the employment information listed above. Further, the inclusion of links to particular items in hypertext is not intended to reflect their importance, nor is it a guarantee of student employability from a particular program of study.
Recommended Course Sequence
Williamsburg Technical College, 601 Martin Luther King, Jr., Avenue, Kingstree, SC 29556 843.355.4110 or 800.768.2021
Williamsburg Technical College is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges to award associate degrees.
Contact the Commission on Colleges at 1866 Southern Lane, Decatur, Georgia 30033-4097 or call 404-679-4500 for questions about the accreditation of Williamsburg Technical College.
Employee and applicant inquiries concerning the federal laws and their application to the College may be directed to the Vice President for Business Affairs , WTC, 601 MLK Jr. Avenue, Kingstree, SC 29556 843.355.4117, who will serve as the College’s Section 504, Title II, and Title IX Coordinator.
WTC shall not discriminate in employment or personnel decisions or in student admissions or in student decisions, or in all other segments of the College community on the basis of race, color, sex, age, national or ethnic origin, religion, disability, ancestry, political affiliation, pregnancy, marital status or unfavorable discharge from military service, in the educational programs and activities which it operates, and the College is prohibited from discrimination in such manner by applicable laws. Practices and requirements for non-discrimination extend to the enrollment of students in programs and activities of the College and employment by the College. Employee and applicant inquiries concerning the federal laws and their application to the College may be directed to the Vice President for Business Affairs , WTC, 601 MLK Jr. Avenue, Kingstree, SC 29556 843.355.4117, who will serve as the College's Section 504, Title II, and Title IX Coordinator. Student and prospective student inquiries concerning the federal laws and their application to the College or any student decision may be directed to Associate Vice President for Student Affairs, WTC, 601 MLK Jr. Avenue, Kingstree, SC 29556 843.355.4162, who will serve as the College’s Section 504, Title II, and Title IV Coordinator. Copyright 2015 Williamsburg Technical College